WAN optimization, also known as WAN acceleration, is software used to maximize the efficiency of data flow across a wide area network (WAN). One benefit of optimization is it increases the speed of access to critical applications and information.
WAN optimization includes:
- traffic shaping, in which traffic is prioritized and bandwidth is allotted accordingly.
- data deduplication, which reduces the data that must be sent across a WAN for remote backups, replication, and disaster recovery.
- compression, which shrinks the size of data to limit bandwidth use.
- data caching, in which frequently used data is hosted locally or on a local server for faster access.
- monitoring the network to detect non-essential traffic.
- creating and enforcing rules about downloads and Internet use.
- protocol spoofing, which is a method of bundling chatty protocols so they are, in effect, a single protocol.
Certain Mission:Mobility mobile communication modules can include WAN Optimization software, such as wireless link optimization software designed by the company XipLink.
Contact us today to learn more about how WAN Optimization can maximize bandwidth and data throughput efficiency at a low cost.